international mobility – intercultural training germany (1 DAY)
Getting used to the country
1. Understanding Germany
• Germany: a victim of its history and geography
• The German identity: Ossi, Wessi, German, European?
• The importance of religion and regionalism: a basis for a collective identity?
2. German values and behaviours
• Democracy = equality? The role of hierarchy and equality at the beginning of the 21st century.
• The distrust of the unknown.
• “Vorsprung durch Technik”: in search of perfection.
Getting used to socialisation patterns
3. German communication styles
• “Sie”, “Du”, surnames or first names? The complexity of formality.
• Punctuated, explicit but polite communication
• Well-defined structures and procedures... make life clear and manageable.
4. Living and socialising with the Germans
• Separation of work and private life, family and friends.
• Men, women, children: the challenges of equal opportunities.
• Hospitality: friendliness and regional differences.
• Getting acquainted, being invited
• Taboos and conversation subjects
ADAPTING TO EVERYDAY LIFE
5. Expatriate life in Germany
• Moving and everyday life: procedures, accommodation, health, etc
• Leisure, expat communities
• Schools, extracurricular activities, sports.
6. Focus on your expatriation city
• Getting your bearings, moving around the city
• Unmissable things to see and do
7. Making your expatriation a success
• Preparing for adaptation phases
• Practical advice, questions-answers
• Action plan: plan and objectives for the expatriate and their family.