international mobility – intercultural training THE netherlands (1 DAY)
Getting used to the country
1. Understanding the Netherlands
• From the United Provinces to the Netherlands: a history that influences behaviours
• From the VOC (The Dutch East India Company) to the 21st century: an open market economy and capitalist spirit
• The Netherlands, Europe and the world
2. Dutch values and behaviours
• Equality and individualism: how should you position yourself?
• Multiculturalism: openness and discovery
• Free expression and sense for compromise: a permanent adaptation
• Operating mode: pragmatism and responsibility
Getting used to socialisation patterns
3. Dutch communication styles
• Communication with the Dutch: multilingual and talkative!
• Direct communication: how to do it
• Social relationships: integrating informally
• Greetings: the absolute informal, but beware...
4. Living and socialising with the Dutch
• Tempo and rhythm: a typical Dutch day
• The home, a multifunctional space
• The place of work for the Dutch
• The family: well shared roles
• Among friends: ‘going Dutch’
ADAPTING TO EVERYDAY LIFE
5. Expatriate life in the Netherlands
• Moving and everyday life: procedures, accommodation, health, etc
• Leisure, expat communities
• Schools, extracurricular activities, sports.
6. Focus on your expatriation city
• Getting your bearings, moving around the city
• Unmissable things to see and do
7. Making your expatriation a success
• Preparing for adaptation phases
• Practical advice, questions-answers
• Action plan: plan and objectives for the expatriate and their family.