international mobility – CHINa (1 DAY)
Getting used to the country
1. Understanding China
• The influences of modern China
• Continuity and dynamic of the political and economic system
• Chinese “globality”
• Does China influence the world or is it westernised?
2. Chinese values and behaviours
• Chinese culture: Confucianism, Taoism and Buddhism
• The "six Confucian basics” determining behaviours
• The influence of Taoism on the way the Chinese think
• When the Chinese borrow the virtue of pugnacity from Buddhism
• Harmony, important to the Chinese culture: a question of Guanxi, Mianzi, Renqing, Bao and Keqi
Getting used to socialisation patterns
3. Chinese communication styles
• The unsaid, the implicit, the “yes” and the “smile”, an unreadable “face”
• Close and long-term relationships
• Pragmatic, are the Chinese always interested?
• “Ambiguity” and “nonsensical logic”
• Analysing appearances.
4. Living and socialising with the Chinese
• Social strategy: hidden objectives and tactics of the “social game”
• Going beyond formalism and polite attitudes
• Courtesy, etiquette and errors not to commit
ADAPTING TO EVERYDAY LIFE
5. Expatriate life in China
• Moving and everyday life: procedures, accommodation, health, etc
• Leisure, expat communities
• Schools, extracurricular activities, sports.
6. Focus on your expatriation city
• Getting your bearings, moving around the city
• Unmissable things to see and do
7. Making your expatriation a success
• Preparing for adaptation phases
• Practical advice, questions-answers
• Action plan: plan and objectives for the expatriate and their family.