international management – AUSTRALIA (1 day)
professional environment and values
1. Background of the Australian company
• Overview of the country: government, the states and their differences
• Australian companies: structure, organisation, cultures
• Workplace legislation and trade unions: liberal model, up or out
, long service leave
2. Cultural tendencies in the workplace
• The no worries attitude
: relaxed attitude and flexible working hours
• Introduced to spirit and team work from a very young age, Australians transfer this to their professional life
• What is tall poppy syndrome
? A society where the approach is egalitarian and where it is important to be modest
3. Australian relational methods
• Is Australian culture an implicit or explicit culture?
• Australians call each other by their first names and use the familiar form; however, the notion of hierarchy is important, explanations.
4. At the workplace
• Informal relationships (mateship
), drinks on a Friday evening, weekend BBQs, Christmas parties
• Establishing connections
• Identifying networks
Managing teams and projects
5. Management practices and tools
• How is a good manager defined in Australia?
• Decision-making. What is the role of consultation and analysis before making a decision?
• Supervising and empowering
• The meeting in Australia: methods and challenges
• A good work-life balance is essential
• How to motivate Australians?
• Assessing and recruiting
• Different types of CVs
6. Operational applications
• Advice when starting a job
• Action plan