international management – BELGIUM (1 day)
professional environment and values
1. The social and economic context
• Belgium, in the heart of Europe
• Political and institutional environment: who does what in Belgium?
ecosystem (sectors, large groups, etc.)
2. Belgian professional values
• A multicultural society inhabiting a territory at a crossroads: Flemish and Walloons. Who are you working with?
• “An artificial country inhabited by two democracies”? (B. De Wever)
• Flanders close to Germanic culture; Wallonia close to Latin values
3. Business relationships
• Communication: empirical and consensual approach
• Openness and intercultural sensitivity
• Modesty and patience.
• Flemish/Walloon differences: instrumental vs. emotional communication
4. At the workplace
• Optimise listening to understand the implicit
• Expression of opinions and conflict resolution
• Business etiquette
: rhythms, styles, etc.
Managing teams and projects
5. Management practices and tools
• “Tirer son plan”/“Zijn plan trekken”: a very Belgian way of doing things, with pragmatism and opportunism.
• Ability to work as part of a team
• Positioning and role of the manager
• Walloon/Flemish nuances:
• Task vs. relationship
• Time management
• Managing Belgian diversity
6. Operational applications
• Advice when starting a job
• Action plan