international management – cross cultural training FRANCE (1 day)
professional environment and values
1. Economic and social environment
• The intricacies of a medium-sized economic power
• France and EU: economic integration and decision-making
environment: public authorities, unions, etc.
2. French values at the workplace
• Leadership and structure of the elite: ENA and polytechnics, the so-called “grandes écoles”: the concept of hierarchy
• “Knowledge is power”. Skills vs. qualifications?
Communicating effectively with the french
3. French forms of communication
• Unsaid, implicit, affirmation refusal or direct refusal
• An aspect of informality in the relationship: what message does it send?
• The personal pronoun “Tu” (informal “you”) does not always bring you closer; the personal pronoun “vous” (formal “you”) does not necessarily add distance
• The French are deductive: “the art of the dissertation”: where synthesis can be implied
• Etiquette and socialisation in business: colleagues, the importance of lunch, coffee breaks, etc.
4. At the workplace
• Organisation of working time
• Image sensitivity
• Speaking. The importance of participation... with panache
• Private life, professional life: French practices
Managing teams and projects
5. Management practices and tools
• French conception of autonomy and duty at the workplace
• Rules and the so-called “Système D”: when to follow them and when not to
• The French manager: an alchemist? Hierarchy and personal relationships
• Teamwork: between individualism and collective mindset
• Meetings and decision-making: practical aspects and stakes
• French quality and ingenuity
6. Operational applications
• Advice when starting a job
• Action plan